I. HENRY MOORE (the immigrant)
A. Elizabeth born 13 Mar 1664 m. James Barrett
B. Henry Jr. born 3 Oct 1665
C. Thomas born 9 Oct 1667, died about 1700
D. John, born 13 Mar 1669. Married Priscilla Smith, daughter of John Smith and Agnes Hagon.
I.A. HENRY MOORE JR.
B:3 Oct 1665
D:1735-1736 (date will probated)
M:Sarah Smallwood, daughter of James Smallwood and Hester Evans. She died about 1743-1744.
d. Ann (married a Davis)
e. Benedicto (a daugher)
f. Elizabeth married Marcellus Littlejohn
h. Henry III, married Sarah King daugher of John King. Henry received the bulk of his parents' estates. He was under 21 in 1732/
B: 1690'S (prob) Charles County, Maryland
M:Mary Cofer ca 1721 daughter of Francis Coffer and Mary Littlejohn
Children of William Moore and Mary Cofer were:
1.James born about 1722 married Margaret Hereford daughter of John Hereford and Jean Barnes.
2.Samuel born about 1724
3.Sarah married Marcellus Littlejohn
4.Mary born about 1735 and married William Buckland
5.Anne born about 1742 and married Charles Tyler son of Benjamin Tyler and Eleanor Middleton. Later, Anne married a Lithgow.
Wife: (1) CHARITY COURTS
Born: ca 1808-1818 Charles Co, Maryland
Father: John Courts III
Mother: Probably Anne Harrison; possibly Elizabeth Barnes, Elizabeth Yates or Anne Whyte
Died: Before 1808
2.1.William (See separate Web Page) b 5 Mar 1753 Louisa Co, VA m (1) Hannah Ransdell 8 Jan 1779 Fauquier Co, VA m (2) Margaret Browning 24 Aug 1812 Fayette Co, KY d 10 May 1818 Fayette Co, VA
2.2.Mary m John Simpson
2.3.Anne Henley bc 1769 m Thomas Chinn 1789
2.4.Sarah bc 1772 m David Bryan 1792
2.5.Elizabeth bc 177 m Cuthbert Musgrove d after 1860
2.6.Samuel m Malinda (possibly Malinda Mitchell 13 Sep 1802 Fauquier Co, VA
2.7.Henson bc 1778 Washington Co, KY(?) m Anne Fowler 30 Nov 1803 (?)
CHILDREN OF CHARITY COURTS
M (1) Zachariah Wade
* John Courts Wade bc 1733
M (2) Samuel Adams
* Tabitha Adams bc 1738 m Gen. William Russel Jr of Culpeper Co, VA dc 1776
* Celia Adams bc 1740 Joseph Stevens m d
* Athealeah Adams bc 1740 m Joseph Hopewell (d 1831 Shenandoah, VA) d
* Cloe Adams bc 1742
* Henley Adams (unproven) bc 1744
1) ?The Brites of Capote?, Keith
2) ?Early Kentuckians in Missouri?
3) D.A.R. Lineage Book
4) ?Texas Society of the D.A.R.?
5) ?The Kentucky Land Grants
6) ?Virginia Colonial Militia?, Crozier
7) Colonial Families of the United States?, Mackenzie
8) ?Virginia Historical Magazine, Vol. 6 p202, Vol. 8 PP 312-314
9) ?Campbell, Pilcher & Kindred Families?, Pilcher, 1911
10) ?Fayette County ReCords?, Vol. III, p 80, Vol. V, p210, p212
11) ?Hist. Reg. of Virginians in the revolution?, Gwathmey
12) Land sale (Samuel Moore Estate Settlement) 23 Mar 1808 Mercer Co, KY
13) Will of Samuel Adams of Charles Co, MD
14) Estate Settlement of Samuel Adams of Charles Co, MD
William Moore served with the Third Virginia Line from 1776 to 1779. He entered service as a sergeant and was discharged as a lieutenant. In 1789, he moved to Fayette Co, Kentucky, where he received large grants of land for his service. William?s father Samuel served in the French and Indian Wars in 1755. See ?Brites of Capote? He owned land in Culpepper Co, Virginia in 1753. Samuel?s marriage to Charity Courts is proven by the estate settlement of Samuel Adams of Charles Co, Maryland. Will of William Moore, dated 4 Nov 1816. Names wife Margaret Moore, Daughter Mary C. Moore, Son Samuel T. Moore, Son James Moore. Executors: Sons Thomas R., John W. and Samuel T. Moore. Witnesses: Thomas R. Moore & John W. Moore. Probated May Court 1818. Personal property and slaves appraised at $5499.76 (2 Jun 1818)
Mercer County, Kentucky, 23rd of March 1808.
This indenture made the 23rd day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eight Between William Moore of the County of Fayette and Hannah his wife, Henson Moore and Anna his wife, Mary Simpson, Thomas Chinn and Ann his wife, Cuthbert Musgrove and Elizabeth his wife, David Bryan and Sarah his wife and Samuel Moore and Malinda his wife heir and legal Representatives of Samuel Moore deceased of our part and William McGinnis of the County of Mercer and State aforesaid of the other part. Witness ??? That the said William Moore and Hannah his wife, Mary Simpson, Thomas Chinn and Anna H. Chinn his wife, Cuthert Musgrove and Elizabeth his wife, David Bryan and Sarah his wife, Samuel Moore and Malinda his wife for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred and eighty-eight pounds lawful money of the state aforesaid to them in hand paid the receipt wherof is hereby acknowledged have bargained and sold and by the presents do ????? and convey unto the said William McGinnis two certain tracts or pieces of land lying and being in the County of Mercer and State aforesaid on the waters of Ch????? and bounded as followeth to wit ............. containing in ??? one hundred and fifty acres. To have and to hold the said ???? tract of land with the appurtenances to the said William McGinnis his heirs and assigns forever. And the said William Moore and Hannah his wife, Henson Moore and Anna his wife, Mary Simpson, Thomas Chinn and Anna H. Chinn, his wife, Cuthbert Musgrove and Elizabeth his wife, David Bryan and Sarah his wife, and Samuel Moore and Malinda his wife the aforesaid tracts of land with the appurtances to the said William McGinnis his heirs and assigns against the claim or claims of them the said William Moore and Hannah his wife, Henson Moore and Anne his wife, Mary Simpson, Thomas Chinn and Anna his wife, Cuthbert Musgrove and Elizabeth his wife, David Bryan and Sarah his wife, and Samuel Moore and Matilda his wife, or either of them and against .... (line missing).
In Testimony Whereof the said William Moore and Hannah his wife, Henson Moore and Anna his wife, Mary Simpson, Thomas Chinn and Anne his wife, Cuthbert Musgrove and Elizabeth his wife, David Bryan and Sarah his wife and Samuel Moore and Malinda his wife have hereunto set ??? and affixed their seals the day and year first above written. .... [There are seven seals but only two signatures, Cuthbert and Elizabeth Musgrove]
State of Kentucky ?? I Achilles S??? Clerk of the Court of appeals for the state of ours being duly authorized by law to receive and admit to accordance and other writings in my office, Do hereby certify that the foregoing Deed was produced to me in my office in Frankfort on the twenty third day of March one thousand eight hundred and eight and acknowledged by Cuthbert Musgrove and Elizabeth Musgrove two of the grantors therein named to their ??? and deed the said Elizabeth being Examined as the law ....
10 Sep 1748 Charles Co, VA: Samuel Adams? will is proven. Will names wife Charity and four daughters plus John Courts Wade.
19 Feb 1750 Charles Co, VA: Samuel Moore and wife Charity make oaths at the probate of the will of Samuel Adams.
3 Mar 1753 Louisa Co, VA: Samuel?s son William is reportedly born in Louisa Co.
21 Jun 1753 Culpeper Co, VA: Samuel Moore of Charles Co, MD bought 500a from Gabriel Jones by the side of Crooked Run.
Mar 1756 Culpeper Co, VA: Samuel Moore is a foot soldier in the Culpeper militia. Lt. Col Wm. Russell is commander. [Note: Samuel?s step daughter Tabitha Adams married Gen. William Russell of Culpeper County.]
22 Nov 1768 Fauquier Co, VA: ?A? Samuel Moore married Elizabeth McPhearson.
Bondsman Hezekiah Turner.
[Note: Some say that this is the same Samuel Moore who m. Lucy Payne in 1782. But others say that this Samuel was dead by 1785 because his estate was listed in the tax list. He first appeared in the tax list of 1778, but in 1770 obtained a permit for a mill on Goose Creek.]
1770 ?A?: Samuel Moore obtained permit for a mill on Goose Creek (Fauquier).
1778 ?A? Samuel Moore is on Fauquier Tax List.
08 Jan 1779 Fauquier Co, VA: Samuel may have been at the marriage of his son William to Hannah Ransdell.
1 May 1782 Fauquier Co, VA: ?A? Samuel Moore married Lucy Payne. Bondsman: Smith Johnson. [Note: Lucy Payne is widow of William George and widow of William Payne.]
1785 ?A? Samuel Moore?s estate was listed on the Fauquier Tax List.
1787 ?A? Samuel Moore is on Fauquier Tax List. [Note: Some say he is the Samuel Moore who m. Lucy Payne in 1782.]
1788 Fauquier Tax List. ?A? Samuel Moore is on the list. He paid taxes for Nathan Moore. [Note: This Samuel has sons named Josiah and Zadock.] [Note: There was a Nathan Moore and a Samuel Moore of about the same age living in Frederick/Montgomery Co, MD in 1776.]
1789 Location ?: Samuel?s daughter Ann Hendly Moore marries Thomas Chinn. William Moore states she is his sister. [? Indicating that Samuel was not present ?]
1790 Fayette Co, KY: There is ?a? Samuel Moores in the censuses.
Jan 1791 VA: Elizabeth Musgrave (Samuel?s daughter) gives birth to first child. All of her younger children were born in Kentucky.
20 Dec 1792 Fauquier Co, VA: Samuel was bondsman for the marriage of his daughter Sarah to David Bryan.
23 Jun 1795. Gideon Johnson guardian of Damuel Moore, orphan of Henley Moore decd. 23 June 1795. For $500. Security: Turner Morehead.
1797 Samuel Moore of Faquier County deeds 2 slaves to Mary Moore of Loudon County (wife of John Simpson) and 2 slaves to Ann Hendley Chinn of Loudon County.
11 Nov 1799. ?A? Samuel Moore m Sarah Hill. Bondsman: son of Richard
1800 Mercer Co, KY: There is ?a? Samuel Moore in the census.
1801 ?A? Samuel Moore and his sons Josiah and Zadock are on the Fauquier Tax List.
13 Sep 1802 Fauquier Co, VA: Samuel Moore married Malinda Mitchell. (Samuel Jr. ?) Bondsman: John Rosser
30 Nov 1803 Washington Co, KY: Samuel?s son Henson Moore m. Anne Fowler. Washington Co is next to Mercer Co.
23 Mar 1808 Mercer Co, KY: The land of Samuel Moore (deceased) is sold.
25 Aug 1818, Malinda Moore, guardian of Beverly, Frances and Lutitia Moore orphans of Samuel Moore, decd. 25 August 1818. For $500. Security. Gideon Johnson.
22 Aug 1825. Francis W. Brooke, guardian of Frances Moore, orphan of Samuel Moore, decd. For $100. Security: William F. Phillips.
Children of Samuel Moore
* William Moore b 5 Mar 1753 Louisa Co, VA, lived Culpeper Co, VA, married (1) Hannah Ransdell in Fauquier Co, Va 8 Jan 1779, 12 children (2) Margaret Browning in Fayette Co, KY 24 Aug 1812, no children, d 10 May 1818 Fayette Co, KY
* Anne Henley Moore m Thomas Chinn 1789. Figure Sarah b ca 1769. Several Thomas Chinns but none with a wife named Anna. A Thomas Chinn in the 1820 Harrison Co, KY census.
* Sarah m David Bryan in Fauquier Co, VA 20 Dec1792. Samuel was bondsman for his daughter. Figure Sarah b ca 1772. Bryans and Bryants in 1790 Fayette and Mercer co. Bryans and Bryants in 1800 Fayette; none in Mercer. A David Bryan in Lincoln Co. No David Bryans in 1810 KY census. A David Bryan in 1820 Christian Co, KY census.
* Elizabeth Moore m Cuthbert Musgrove. Elizabeth bc 1772. The Musgroves were located in Charles Co, MD, Fauquier, Fairfax and Loudon Co, VA before move to KY. Cuthbert bc 1770 VA. Cuthbert in the 1800 Mercer, KY, in 1810 Fayette, KY census and 1820-1830 Warren, KY censuses, 1840 Hardin Co, KY census, 1850 Larue Co, KY census (Cuthbert age 78). Cuthbert and Elizabeth reportedly died Edmundson, KY; Cuthbertson after 1861: Elizabeth after 1860. Children: Nancy Jane b1791 (VA) m 1814 Mercer Co, KY, Elizabeth, Mary, Margaret, Henson, Susan, Samuel, Will, Ed, John (all KY).
* Henson Moore m. Anne Fowler. Henson in 1800 Mercer, KY census. m. 30 Nov 1803 Washington Co, KY. Note that his wife was called Anna and not Anne in the estate settlement. In 1810 Washington Co, KY census. Washington Co is next to Mercer Co. Not in 1820 KY census. Reportedly born 1778 in Washington Co [?].
* Samuel Moore. Wife named Malinda. A Samuel Moore m. Malinda Mitchell 13 Sep 1802 in Fauquier Co, VA. John Rosser was bondsman. Samuel was dead by 1818. His widow Malinda was given custody of Beverly, Frances and Luticia on 25 August 1818. Frances Moore was given custody of Frances Moore on 22 Aug 1825.
Samuel Moores in the 1790 Fayette, Lincoln and Bourbon censuses of KY. Samuel Moores in the 1800 census of Mercer, Lincoln (2), Logan, Harrison and Nicholas Cos. In 1810 (after Samuel Sr.'s death), there was a Samuel Moore in Fayette Co.
22 Aug 1825. Francis W. Brooke, guardian of Frances Moore, orphan of Samuel Moore, decd. For $100. Security: William F. Phillips.
* Mary Simpson .... Two Mary Simpsons listed as head of household in the 1810 KY census; one in Shelby Co and one in Calloway Co. Is she a child of Samuel or could she be his widow who remarried? I think with the custom of the day if she had remarried her husband would also have been mentioned in the settlement. ** See note from 1797 where Samuel Moore of Fauquier deeded slaves to Mary Simpson and his daughter Anne Chinn, both of Loudon County.
These are the children from Charity's first marriages:
* John Courts Wade .... Data from LDS Family Search: ?Charity Courts m.Zacchariah Wade before her marriage to Samuel Adams. Zacchariah was a widower with two children (Richard Wade 1725 and Zacchariah Wade Jr. 1727) when he married Charity and they had one child (John Courts Wade) before Zacchariah's death.? Note: Samuel Adams? will names John Courts Wade to receive a small amount of his property, a calf and gun. If Charity were 18 when John Courts Wade was born, her birth year would have been 1715 (1708-1718). Her child bearing age would have ended by 1760 or so.
* Tabitha Adams 1738-1776 m Gen. William Russell Jr. [William Russell Jr. was JP and Sheriff of Culpeper Co, VA]
* Celia Adams 1740 m Joseph Stevens
* Atheahleah Adams 1740 (twin) m Joseph Hopewell. [Joseph Hopewell d 1831 Shenandoah Co, VA]
* Cloe Adams 1742
* Henley Adams 1744. Some say that there was an Adams son, but he was not in Samuel Adams' will. I think that this may have come from a Francis Adams document that mentioned Samuel Adams' five children. Possibly his stepson John Courts Wade was the fifth child.
Dick D. Fox, 1512 Parkview Drive, Lockhart, Texas 78644 REVISED: 1 Mar 2001